Monday, June 25, 2018

June 25th, 2018 Email :D

See you soon!!
Hello everyone!
I am so sorry that I have been so poor at emailing the last few weeks! Things are crazy up here in the North! We had transfer calls on Saturday, and I am being transferred! I will be serving in the St. George, Utah mission! It's crazy to think that I will be home in just a few short days. I feel as though I just came out into the field! But as I sit and ponder the things the Lord has helped me to learn and experience over the last year and a half of my life....man! A lot has happened and I wouldn't trade any of it for the world! :)

I will write a bit of a testimony at the end here, but first I'll slide in some details about the last week. :) We have truly experienced some miracles! 
The first is the lovely Sam. :) She is from the Philippines and 15 years old. She has only been here with her mom and brother for about 9 months! We started teaching her a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to see her for a week and a bit because of school. We finally saw her this week. We had taught her the Plan of Salvation and given her a Book of Mormon previously and asked her about it. She had prayed about the Plan and felt peace. She recognized it as Heavenly Father telling her it is true! The Book of Mormon, she had a read a little bit of and showed us a passage of King Benjamin she enjoyed. She recognized the paintings and what they meant. She had given her copy to her cousin to read because she wanted to read as well. <3 I love her dearly. She is such a sweet spirit!

This week we also had a big stake-wide event where some visitors came to speak to all women in the stake ages 8 and up about the value of being a Sister in Zion. We had sisters traveling from even Terrace to be here. :) The spirit of unity in the room was so strong and the feeling of love for each other and from Heavenly Father was so clear. I was blessed to play the piano for a two different renditions of As Sisters in Zion. The first time we sang all 10 verses of the poem, the 2nd time was the EFY medley. It was an honor to be a part of! 

I am so grateful to be finishing my mission in the Celestial North! It has been a blessing to be here for 6 months, and I look forward to staying in contact with many friends from here and every area I have served in! (you can find me on Facebook or email me at alissajv97@gmail.com

As for my overall mission...

You learn a lot about God's love for His children on your mission. Especially when you are called to such a culturally diverse place as British Colombia! ;) So many different languages, races, cultures, and beliefs surround me...even up here in Prince George! It has been such a blessing to recognize how perfectly He knows and loves the individual, regardless of the details of their lives. He truly is the perfect Father! 
 I know without a doubt that I was meant to serve here in the Canada Vancouver Mission. I know that Heavenly loves all of His children perfectly and knows exactly what they need. A day hasn't gone by that I haven't needed to be here. I know that every person on this earth has a purpose in their life. I know that Heavenly Father guides us exactly where we need to be if we humble ourselves to be led. The meaning of being led has changed for me over my mission. I had blind faith before. Being led meant having a blindfold on and allowing Heavenly Father to guide me by the hand. It has changed now. Being led by Heavenly Father now means to me that my eyes are open. I seek to understand the world around me and where He needs me to go. My arms are outstretched, reaching for Him, and I am still allowing Him to guide me. But I eagerly take the steps ahead. No matter where He may lead me, I keep my focus on Him and I will end up where I need to be. I still don't know the meaning of all things, but I know more than I did. 
I know that through prayer, our loving Heavenly Father speaks to us. He know my thoughts, needs and desires long before I vocalize them, but still wants to hear from little ol me. He loves me. He is always there for me. My mission started with a prayer, and that prayer has continued throughout my mission. My Heavenly Father is my best friend. I know He hears me and keeps me safe. He loves me and guides me. As I heed His counsel, I am able to touch more lives than I can even imagine to be possible. 
I know that because of Heavenly Father's love for us, He has given us prophets on the earth today. I love and sustain President Russell M Nelson. I know that he has the authority to lead and direct he church in these latter days. As I follow him, I am following my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I finished it again this morning, having read it cover to cover with a prayer in my heart to learn something new every day. I was not disappointed. I know that it is true and the best guide to my life that I could have! The words bring me joy, peace and direction in my life. I know that as people seek the truth in the Book of Mormon, they will find it. They will catch a glimpse of the Lord's infinite love for them. They will know that Joseph Smith truly was a prophet of God and called for a few very specific purposes. Oh how I am grateful for the devotion and service of Joseph Smith! The Book of Mormon is full of the messages Heavenly Father needed to tell me. So many days I have had a question and found the answer in the scriptures. I know that opportunity isn't unique to me, but for all. However, I know that the experiences He has blessed me with through the Book of Mormon are very unique for me. 
I am so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ. He is my rock. Without Him I would not be here, I would not have the joy that I do in my life...heck! I would have no life at all! The Atonement of Jesus Christ never became so real to me until my mission. A day without the Atonement of Jesus Christ is no day at all. It is a night. I know that Jesus Christ is the son of God. I know He lived, died, and lived again for each and every single one of us. No sin is so off the straight and narrow path that He will do EVERYTHING in His power to bring us back. He can and He will. He has done it for me many, many times for which I am eternally grateful. I know that He loves me and each of us individually and perfectly. I am so grateful for the ability to be cleansed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, my Savior.
I know that my family can be together forever. I know it without a shadow of a doubt. My family is mine forever. It motivates me each day to be worthy of the Celestial Kingdom. It motivates me each day to become worthy of my future husband and my future children, to guide them in the ways of truth and light. I know that Heavenly Father wants all of His children to return home to His presence and to be TOGETHER FOREVER. It is possible, and it is worth it to just be our best selves every day.
I am grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost. The light, guidance, and comfort that comes into my life through the power of the Holy Ghost is something that I wouldn't trade for anything in this world. It's something I need every day. The miracles I have been able to participate in throughout my mission are only possible to be fulfilled and recognized through the Holy Ghost. I know that as I seek to be obey the promptings of the Holy Ghost, I will be on the Lord's errand. That will always be my top priority. Only then will I be successful in accomplishing the work He needs me to! 
 I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to have served a full time mission in the Canada Vancouver Mission. The call to serve, though extended to all, is one of my greatest treasures and very personal to me. I am so grateful for the knowledge of these things, and the many more that I have to learn. I love my Heavenly Father. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. And say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

I love you all! See you soon!!! <3
Sister Van Valkenburg

Happy Aboriginal Day!
My cute comp!
We found the leftover treats after the big event....no regrets!
The District

1 comment:

  1. precious sister in Christ,if you really love God and Truth,it is important you too come to know a well known documented truth(even though,hypocrites try to deny it by telling silly lies);that is the book of Mormon is totally worthless(Never a Tribe of Israel went to the Americas to give birth to the Natives-the DNA test denies it- and far less the Lord JESUS- Truly,the so called original manuscript with the "pearl of great price" were mere lists of obituaries written in the old language of Egypt,which Smith had purchased in a library and not discovered in a wood,and the "apostles" in Salt Lake know it well;by the way,'cause Joseph and Hyrum were Freemasons,many rituals followed in the temples come from masonry). We have,already,a perfect testament,which you can find it in the GOSPEL(Galatians 1,6-9,Jude 3-4). May the Grace and the Love of our Heavenly Father find a warm welcome in your soul,so that his Holy Spirit can protect you from deception,sin and hell(Luke 12,1-12);until the day-if,you turn earnestly and with humility to our Lord JESUS to get his personal revelation with his forgiveness and holy freedom;and,so,to taste his fellowship with his peace and mercy- you too 'll enter the joy of Paradise. In GOD 's Love and Truth.

    ReplyDelete