Monday, May 1, 2017

May 1,2017 Email :D

Now you may think by the title of this email that I am now going to be in a new area...but you are wrong! Hahaha I am getting a new companion, though, in beautiful West Kelowna! Sister Thurber is heading off to Port Moody, and I am getting her MTC companion as my new companion! I can't wait to meet her! Sister Miller from Columbus, Ohio! ...that's about all I know. Also, I have seen a picture or two and she is BEAUTIFUL and just glows with the Spirit! :D I am so excited!!! 

This past week we had a district meeting where Sister Thurber and I were able to give a training on following up with giving commitments. We had such a fun time calling up one missionary from each companionship (4 total) and giving them a "commitment" to do until further notice. We had a sister braiding her hair, and some elders tying and retying ties, walking around the perimeter of the room, and holding their breath! Then we gave them more commitments, promised blessings, and never followed up with the past commitments! Some would just stop doing the other ones as more were added, and some tried to do all at once! There was jump rope, pushups, singing, reciting, you name it going on! It was so funny to watch! And then, of course, we tied it all back to the importance of following up and explaining commitments. It was awesome! Going with our goal of being 24/7 missionaries (as described in last week's email) We made some sweatbands that said 24/7 on them for the elder who had to do the pushups! It was so fun and made such a good point! :D I love trainings like that! Well, I love trainings in general! Love learning. :) 

A scripture I came across this week really stood out to me:
Hebrews 12:9 

Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence : shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits , and live? 

It was one of those "duh" moments that I just love in the scriptures! I have always loved comparing our relationship with our Heavenly Father with our relationship with our earthly father. This scripture makes such a good point and I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have of a loving Father in Heaven that knows me and wants the very best for me! I love Him and I know He loves me! <3 

Sorry there wasn't anything terribly exciting this week, but just know that I absolutely LOVE being a missionary! Have an amazing week!!

love
Sister Van Valkenburg


Here are the bomb sweatbands we made! Hahaha we thought we were so cool! XD
Kind of getting into photography...this little guy was right outside our door!

So behind Sister Thurber, you see a bridge. This bridge has a river underneath it. We have a tradition that whenever we walk across this bridge, we each break off a twig
from a tree/bush and toss it in the river, then run to the other side and see which twig "wins" This is Sister Thurber with her last "twig" that she tried for...longer than necessary
to break off of the bush XD



This is the lady I wrote about in my letter and her husband, the ward mission leader. :) Brother and Sister Moyor. I love them!


Some of you may know that I am allergic to cats...but this one looked so friendly! Did I know I was allergic? Yes. Did I pick it up anyway? Yup. Did I have an allergic reaction? Oh yeah. Do I regret anything? Not a chance. ;) Hahaha have a good week everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment