Monday, January 15, 2018

January 15,2018 Email :D

Hello hello!

WOW!! What an adventure getting here! The plane ride up was a party! We had Sister Muir (my comp) Elder Mathews, and Elder Deppe who I served with in Victoria! Partay! We will all be in the same zone up in Prince George!

Sister Muir is the BEST!! She's so sweet! She is from Kitchener, Ontario and has been out for 9 months!! She is HILARIOUS and tells the best stories!! I love her to death and can't wait to see what we are able to accomplish together in this area!!

On the plane, I was so blessed to be sitting next to a lady named Christine, who was flying home from a business trip. I was able to share my testimony with her of the Book of Mormon and on the plane ride she read the introduction, testimonies of Joseph Smith and the witnesses, and started in on 1 Nephi!! We will be meeting with her soon. :) I am so grateful for Heavenly Father always placing people and experiences in our paths!

We stepped on the plane..coming from positive number weather...and stepped off the plane into Prince George at a whopping -22 degrees! The prediction was correct! :O Did I mention that because of the pulp mill that Prince George also smells like rotten eggs? Hehe oh man...it's quite the adventure! As we went through this week, tracting, teaching, and going to meetings we were definitely not the warmest on the outside...heck our hair was white from freezing!! But my heart has never been so warm! I love this place and the people here are the best!! <3

This ward is/about to be on fire!! With me and Sister Muir coming in, we also added another set of Elders! So our small ward up here has 3 sets of missionaries! Bishop is pumped!! We met with him this week and made some plans to "open up our planners" to the ward. He said he would bring us lunch..so when the 6 of us missionaries walked into the room and saw 2 pizza boxes on the desk...my first thought was: "Welp! Looks like I've got 1/2 a piece for me in there and will be grabbing a snack later!" And then, lo and behold, Bishop opens the boxes and there are 2 PIZZAS IN EACH BOX!!! They were just stacked on top of each other with a little divider!! :O And that was when I knew my life would be changed in Prince George. ;) We will be meeting 2 times a week to discuss our plans and who we are working with...on top of coordination! :) On Sunday, Bishop had us all come to the stand and bare our testimonies for the ward to get to know us and encouraged them to have us in their homes and at 8 o'clock at night so we don't have to be on the streets! Woot woot!! This ward is SO PREPARED and I can't wait to see the miracles that Heavenly Father has in store for all of us!! <3

I had a cool experience this week in Young Womens! We were asked to pop in on Sunday and share an experience that had strengthened our faith in Jesus Christ. I told of when I was at girls camp as a 12 year old and we went on a faith walk. It was dark outside and we were led through the trees and campground meeting various people dressed as prophets and angels testifying of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon. The Spirit was so strong! At the end of the journey, we were taken individually and blindfolded. I was led to a strand of rope, crisscrossed through trees to make a course. I was told to hold on tight and follow the rope. There was shaking, poking, whispers, laughing, snapping...you name it! Distraction of people trying to get me off the course. I couldn't see and was just feeling my way through. It was frustrating! I did my best, and when I had reached the end, someone said "congratulations! You made it!" My blindfold was removed and the first thing I saw was a picture of the Savior. The warmth that filled my heart at that time is something I will never forget! I know that He will always help us through the winding, dark paths of life! He has gone through the course and will lead us through! And He is waiting for us at the end to welcome us and help us to feel His love and abundance! I am just working every day to be worthy of that moment and know my Savior from my time here on earth! (Alma 34:32)

The teacher of the Young Women, after we had shared our testimony with them gave us this handout:

"A man passed away and was resurrected and waiting in a room to be interviewed. Another man was ahead of him. The door opened, the man entered, the door closed. The man on the outside could hear the conversation on the other side of the door. The interview began: I want you to tell me what you know about Jesus Christ.

Well, He was born of a virgin in Bethlehem. He lived thirty-three years, spending the last three in His ministry organizing His church, choosing His apostles to direct it, giving the gospel to direct our lives.

The interviewer stopped him and said, yes, yes that's all true, but I want you to tell me what you know about Jesus Christ.

Well, He was tortured and crucified that we might have eternal life. Three days later He was resurrected that we might return to live with Heavenly Father.

Yes, yes, that is true, but I want you to tell me what you know about Jesus Christ. The man, a little perplexed, again began: Well, He restored the Gospel in its fullness to the earth through Joseph Smith, reorganized His church, gave us temples wherein we might do work to save our dead. He gave us family prayer and family home evening where we might unite with our families. He gave us the Priesthood to heal the sick and personal ordinances for our salvation and exaltation. 

The interviewer again stopped the man and said: All of what you have said to me is true. The man was then invited to leave the room. After he left, the door opened and the second man entered. As he approached the interviewer, he fell upon his knees and cried, 'My Lord, MY God.' " 

~ unknown

This story spoke volumes to me! Do I really know my Savior? Do I know that man that came to earth and lived and died for me? My brother? My redeemer?! May I live every moment of my life grateful for Him and knowing that it's only because of Him, and through Him, that I can obtain the greatest happiness known to man! :) I love Him. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

love,
Sister Van Valkenburg



ps. Sorry there aren't pictures!! My camera doesn't connect to these computers...next week! Promise!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment