Monday, January 29, 2018

January 29,2018 Email :D

Is it summer?

This week up in PG the coldest it got was like -12...and right now we are sittin pretty at +2 degrees Celsius!! I must be dreaming! Everyone we talk to is like "yeah, this isn't normal. Enjoy it while it lasts!" Oh, believe me, we are! :D

I absolutely loved the Stake Conference broadcast yesterday! Did anyone out there get to see it as well? I honestly don't know what area it covered...but it was awesome! I loved Elder Natress's talk about his son jumping from their 10 foot balcony. Though it was funny hearing the younger brother say "you missed the pillow!" How many times do we think we have set ourselves up for success, and miss the mark? How many times do we make plans that wouldn't work anyway? I know that if we consult with Heavenly Father with all our plans, they won't miss the mark for sure! And we can make sure that we are spiritually safe by doing this things Elder Natress suggested:

1- Pray every day
2- Read the scriptures (Specifically the Book of Mormon)
3- Find someone to serve each day
4- Once a week, take the sacrament and renew your covenants

I have seen in my personal life how much these simple building blocks can shape who we become and how safe we are when we diligently seek to do them each day/week! :D

I was pondering this week a book that I grew up reading in my home and in choir called The Spyglass. It's about a king, whose life and kingdom are in shambles. He eats a meager meal each day and the castle is run down, the people are poor and sad. Then, one day a wise old man comes and shows him a spyglass. The king looks through the spyglass in the direction of his kingdom and sees a beautiful, lush, park with fountains and people happily walking along! The old man turns to him and says "You have seen what might be, now go and make it so." He leaves the king with the spyglass for a season and leaves, promising to return later and see how things turn out. The king goes to the park, which is currently overrun with weeds and just depressing..and proceeds to rip down some of the vines. Underneath he finds the beautiful fountain from this vision he had seen through the spyglass. Slowly but surely, his kingdom is transformed as he looks through the spyglass and make the kingdom what it always had the potential to become! When the old man returns, it has if it is a different kingdom! He takes the spyglass, and travels on to another kingdom.

As I have thought about the above story, I have compared it to our relationship with Heavenly Father. Through His eyes, the spyglass, we can see the potential of our kingdom. We can see what our hands and hearts can do to change the world around us! But it is only when we act on what Heavenly Father has shown us that we accomplish miracles. I know that as I have prayed to see others through His eyes I have found greater love and accomplishment in the world around me. I have also prayed to see myself through Heavenly Father's eyes. I cannot believe how much He could love a little thing like me! I know that He loves all of his children and we each have infinite possibilities! :) I can't wait to see what our kingdoms hold! 

I know that my Savior lives. How grateful I am that we know this, that we can share this with the world around us each and every day! I am so grateful for my family and friends that teach me how to be a little better every day! I love you all! Have an amazing week!

love,
Sister Van Valkenburg

"One notch up!" - President Wong

PS. P-day will most-likely be on Wednesday next week...so don't be freaked out if I email later! <3

PPS. camera isn't working this week...SO SORRY!! PICTURES NEXT WEEK! PROMISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment